Food Research and Standards
There is a plethora of products hopping on to the RAW food and CLEAN food bandwagons every day. Some claim “100% Natural”, some “100% Organic”, but there is really no clear perspective for the end consumer on what these claims mean. The International Center for Integrative Systems is taking efforts to clear this confusion by creating universally accepted standards for certification of food products.
The Center is the home of the RawFoodCertified and the CleanFoodCertified projects. It also provides the infrastructure, administration and governance to certify products using the international standard. The Center, in collaboration and discourse with the raw food community such as the Whole Foods Market, has now led to an International Standard for Raw Food Certification and the imprimaturs Certified R.A.W.® and Certified C.L.E.A.N.®.
A Certified R.A.W.® or Certified C.L.E.A.N.® certification will ensure compliance to these universally accepted standards and will serve as verification of manufacturers’ claims and will also serve to support the growth of the raw food community while enabling transparency for consumers, retailers, manufacturers and the regulatory community.
For products to be Certified R.A.W.:
- They must be Real, they must be 100% safe, must be 100% non-GMO and a majority of the ingredients must be organic.
- They must be Alive, the ingredients must have a high amount of bio-available enzymes based on testing using the revolutionary CytoSolve® technology.
- They must be Whole, minimally processed, (below 212 degrees) and must have a high ANDI nutrient score.
For products to be Certified C.L.E.A.N.:
- They must be Conscious, or safe, based on the compliance standards defined in detail.
- They must be Live, must be minimally processed, (below 212 degrees) and a majority of the ingredients must be organic.
- They must be Ethical, the ingredients must be100% non-GMO and should have been manufactured using humane processes.
- They must be Active, have a high amount of bio-available enzymes and tested using the revolutionary CytoSolve® technology.
- They must be Nourishing, as determined by ANDI Nutrient Score.
About the Certified R.A.W. and Certified C.L.E.A.N. Standards
The Standards are consensus-based documents that have been crafted with the insight and expertise of dozens of individuals, reflecting a dynamic range of perspectives. Beginning with a 60-day public comment period in October and November of 2007, ongoing public comment periods have been established as an important mechanism for keeping the Standard current and collaborative. The current version of the Standards is the product of three rounds of public comment, the most recent of which ended on April 18, 2015.
Version 1 of the Certified R.A.W. and Certified C.L.E.A.N. Standards was ratified May 2015.
The International Center for Integrative Systems is dedicated to unbiased, scientific research. On the topic of GMO’s, the Center is neither pro nor anti, but rather committed to ensuring the safety of food that people consume.
If your products include GMO ingredients, and you would like to test your products to verify that they do, in fact, include GMO ingredients, we offer you testing services to do that. The GMO Testing service confirms the presence of one or more GMO ingredients in your product.